Thursday, December 17, 2015

De-stressing....with color

Stress.  It is part of life.  We all have it, right?  I know I do.

Work, money, home, the news, it seems to come at us from all directions these days.

Through the years, I have used different methods to escape the stresses of the day.  I do crafts of all sorts, play games, read, watch tv- many of the same things other do.  Of course, they all get boring after a while and they all have the same problem when it comes to stress relief.  They let me think.  None of them keep my mind so busy that I can't think about whatever thing it is that has me stressing at that moment.

I needed to find something that would make me focus in a way none of these things had before.

As luck would have it, I also watch Youtube videos.  One of the Youtube channels I like to watch is Rainy Day Dreamers.  They do product reviews, often of toys or other 'As Seen on TV' items for families.  I love their videos and just enjoy the family.  (Plug for them- check them out here: https://www.youtube.com/user/RainyDayDreamers/featured)

Anyway, they did a review video of an adult coloring book.  They talked about how intricate the patterns were and how challenging it was.  I was intrigued.  I had heard about this in passing, but I started to do what I do best-  GOOGLE.

I found a whole world of adult coloring books I didn't even realize existed.  So, one day in Walmart, I found some cheap books.  I bought some.  I came home and colored my first page.  I was immediately hooked.  This was amazing.  It was like coloring as a child, but nothing like coloring as a child all at the same time!

I was focused on what page to choose, then where to start on the page, then what medium to use to color it in.  So many choices!  Markers, colored pencils, watercolors, actual crayons, if you could imagine!

That first page was liberating.  It may seem to you that coloring in someone else's artwork is not art at all, but I would argue that is not the case at all.  This gives a freedom to the colorist (there is a name for us, you know) in that we have a starting point.  We no longer need to put pen to paper to start the process, we can use a template and add our touch.  We are not interested in taking credit for that template- only in adding our colors.

When I color a page, I am lost in the process.  I don't think about how much money is in the bank, what the status of my project at work is or whether the doctor may call.  I think only about the next section I am coloring and how the pencil is laying down on the page.  I don't hear the world around me, I am absorbed in that work.

People don't understand this and I get that.  Most think it's silly, I don't mind.  It is not for everyone to understand.  I don't get NASCAR Racing, but I don't mind if others do.  I am sure people look at me funny as I am coloring on an airplane during a cross-country flight or in a waiting room.  I will color anywhere, and because this is a very portable hobby, I can and do.

I highly recommend anyone try this- even if you think it's silly.  Don't think you can't.  Don't think you won't be good at it.  The only one who needs to see your work is you and who cares what it looks like?  Just enjoy it.

Here are some of mine:






No comments:

Post a Comment